Celebrating Indiana Literature
Great books are written in Indiana and by Hoosiers. We’re excited to celebrate these books and the authors who write them, while also elevating the status of Indiana writers locally and nationally.
We also believe that meeting an author can spark or renew a lifelong love of literature and reading. As envisioned by Eugene and Marilyn Glick, the Indiana Authors Awards embrace the important idea that great writers come from anywhere and that sometimes what’s needed is that first flash of inspiration.
It’s with these beliefs that we’ve reimagined and expanded the Indiana Authors Awards. Going forward, the awards will encompass not just a set of prizes given biennially, but also a dynamic set of programs and communications initiatives to celebrate Indiana writers, shine a spotlight on the state’s literary community and deepen connections between Hoosier readers and writers.
A few of the key changes we’re most excited about:
- More awards in more categories, to better honor the breadth of writing in Indiana, from fiction and nonfiction, to graphic novels and comics, to poetry and drama, to books for young readers, teens and adults.
- More opportunities for Hoosiers, especially students, to meet and interact with authors. The Novel Conversations Speakers Program, which features Indiana Authors Awards winners, will expand to include writing workshops.
- A communications blitz after each round of awards to increase awareness and excitement among Hoosier readers. Among other things, every library in the state will receive posters, bookmarks, and other materials to create displays and programming around selected books. The Indiana Authors Awards will also work with partners in the business community, tourism and the arts to promote Indiana authors and their works to visitors and residents alike.
- A kickoff event in fall 2019 at the Indianapolis Artsgarden featuring recent winners, literary luminaries and a report on the state of Indiana literature today.
- Starting in 2021, a statewide “rock star” tour, featuring one of Indiana’s high-profile literary all-stars. Over an intensive but exhilarating week every other fall, thousands of Hoosiers will have the opportunity to hear from a favorite writer and connect with other readers.
- A new monthly book review column, running in papers around the state and online, that will help readers find their next great Hoosier read. Each review will be written by an Indiana author.
- Enthusiastic, empowered ambassadors for Indiana books and authors. The Indiana Authors Awards will leverage Indiana Humanities’ diverse statewide network of partners to build buzz, promote winning authors and shine a spotlight on the fact that Indiana is a great place to live and work if you care about the written word.
Nominate an Author