Want to host an Indiana author in your community? For nearly 10 years, Indiana Humanities’ Speaker Program has sent former and current Indiana Authors Award winners and finalists to organizations across Indiana for readings and discussions with local audiences.
Nonprofits interested in bringing a winning or shortlisted author from the 2020 round of the Indiana Authors Awards to their community (either in-person or virtually) to speak to a public audience can apply for funds to cover speaking fees as part of the Indiana Authors Awards Speaker Program. The program, open to public libraries, schools, churches, museums, community centers, prisons and other nonprofit organizations, is made possible by Glick Philanthropies.
Each year, Indiana Humanities will select up to 30 host organizations and match them to their preferred authors through an application process. Application guidelines, author bios and an event toolkit are available below. Participating organizations are responsible for working with authors to schedule engagements and cover any travel expenses.
The deadline for the 2021 round has passed, but applications for the 2022 round will open later this year.
Please contact Bronwen Carlisle at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
2021 speaker program events
- Franklin College, Franklin (Author: Eugene Gloria)
- Blue River Valley Schools, New Castle (Author: Annie Sullivan)
- North Manchester Public Library, North Manchester (Author: Chantel Massey)
- Sidener Academy for High Ability Students, Indianapolis (Author: Saundra Mitchell)
- Daviess County Writers’ Group, Washington (Author: Lindsey Alexander)
- Henry Henley Public Library, Carthage (Author: Helen Frost)
- Friends of Potato Creek State Park, North Liberty (Author: Michael Homoya)
- Frankfort Community Public Library, Frankfort (Author: Chris White)
- Central Indiana Land Trust, Indianapolis (Author: Michael Homoya)
- Greensburg-Decatur County Public Library, Greensburg (Author: Nate Powell)
- Center for Leadership Development, Indianapolis (Author: Maurice Broaddus)
- Putnam County Public Library, Greencastle (Author: Kevin McKelvey)
- Jasper-Dubois County Public Library, Jasper (Author: Melissa Stephenson)
- Johnson County Public Library, Franklin (Author: Axton Betz-Hamilton)
- Floyd County Library, New Albany (Author: Bill Sullivan)
- Indianapolis Public Library Foundation, Indianapolis (Author: Callista Buchen)
- Indianapolis Public Library Foundation, Indianapolis (Author: Maurice Broaddus)
- Hanover College, Hanover (Author: Chantel Massey)
- Fairmount Public Library, Fairmount (Author: Bryan Furuness)
- Delphi Public Library, Delphi (Author: Gabrielle Balkan)
- South Dearborn Community Schools Libraries, Aurora (Author: John David Anderson)
- HSE Intermediate Junior High, Fishers (Author: Crystal Allen)
- Flanner Community Writing Center, Indianapolis (Author: Robin Lee Lovelace)
- Jeffersonville Township Public Library, Jeffersonville (Author: Debra Kang Dean)
If your organization is hosting a speaker program event in 2021, use these resources to help organize, promote and report your event. If you’d like to attend a speaker program event, check our events page for details.